Report Migration from Cognos to Power BI
A Financial Services company needed to migrate its Credit Card Network’s set of executive dashboards from Cognos to Power BI in order to understand the business performance at a glance. The requirement was to be able to track critical and fast changing data on various platforms including mobile devices.
Client Challenges and Requirements
- The requirement was to be able to track critical and fast changing data on various platforms including mobile devices.
- Assessed existing Cognos environment and critical business requirements.
- Setup and configured required data connections. Loaded the data from the database into Power BI. Established relationships between different data sources and created the data model in Power BI.
- With the help of the existing Cognos reports as mockup, created Power BI visualizations.
- Provided filtering capabilities and created DAX calculations for the custom fields.
- Incremental refresh was implemented for high volume data to optimize the data refresh performance.
- Power BI features were leveraged to enhance the visualizations. Optimized the ‘Ask Question’ feature of Power BI for self service of the reporting requirement.
- Performed data validations and quality checks. Published reports with role-based permissions.
Tools & Technologies We Used
Eases decision-making and tracking of management strategy and business plans
Mobile compatibility provided flexibility and insights on the go
Integrated Power BI dashboards with the organization’s portal to increase visibility and flexibility
Powerful modelling of Power BI was leveraged for easy and user-friendly capability